Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Travel and SDA

At RDU airport.
Waiting for our first flight.

Who knows?



Sleep deprived Emerald.
She loves water bottles!

Walking around Kiev


Same look, lol.

Gotta love McDonals, guilty pleasure...

This dress got my feet so filthy from dirt on the road my legs and feet were black.2

Sweet red building on the way to SDA.

A famous Ukrainian poet.





Saint Andrew's.

This is for my friend Beth, some icon?


We are here in Kiev! This is my third time in Kiev and I do enjoy it here. It reminds me of a more colorful, history-rich New York City where walking and public transportation are the norm. I really like the food here too. I even dreamed of borscht the other night. 

Traveling and navigating a city with lots of steps and cobblestones, toddler in tow, does present challenges, but Emerald has been enjoying the bumpy stroller rides so far. I brought a sling (which I used this morning) and the Ergo and even a toddler-leash, so we have lots of child-transportation methods to choose from! LOL

We had our SDA appointment yesterday which left me on cloud 9. The SDA appointment is sort of like visiting a social worker and getting your child's file. We learned lots about our little guy. His name is Artyom, he has an older brother who lives with his parents. He was given up at the hospital because he had Down syndrome. That is very sad to me...and his mother's loss (and well, his too) as in the pictures he is absolutely perfect to me. We got to see four pictures of him from birth until just recently. He is a beautiful, bright toddler. His papers said that he has had two surgeries for his anal atresia and that it is repaired, but I will have to wait and see, don't know if I really trust that. They also said that he has an open oval window in his heart. That did scare me a bit, but I know it is very common in little ones with Down syndrome. I just wasn't prepared for that as I thought he did not have a heart condition.

Unfortunately our camera battery died right before the SDA appointment so we missed a lot of shots, but I hope you enjoy the ones above.

Tonight we get on the 13 hour train ride to Simferopol, then we catch a bus to Sevastopol (3 hour ride). THEN we MEET OUR SON. We still have not decided on a name for him, but I will keep you posted.

Thank you for all the emails and prayers, they have been such a blessing to us.

Emerald and Matthias are taking a nap right now, we are all feeling good.

Til soon!

9 comments:

  1. WEEEEEE - hurry hurry..... I am on the edge of my seat. Sorry about the heart issue.... Hopefully it will be one of those 'precautionary' notes instead of the real thing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The open oval window is honestly no big deal. It is something that normally closes on its own after a few years.

    Our train ride was 15 hours! Maybe you are taking the express? That would be nice. Enjoy your ride and get that stinking camera battery charged up for tomorrow. I'll be expecting some photos!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the update! Praying for you as you meet and hold your son for the very first time. I have chills just thinking about that moment for you. God bless and keep the updates coming!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. No fair! Our train ride was 17 hours! Glad you all are safe and I can't wait til you meet that precious babe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. beautiful Lindsay! praying for y'all all the time. Mattie and I are so excited! Love you and miss you already : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. So excited! Can't wait to see pictures of Emory! And, yes, our train ride was 16 hours and the last one to Sevastopol was 18! Lucky with the 13! woo hoo!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am SO excited for you guys as you are there EXPANDING your FAMILY!!!! YAAY!!!! I just can't wait to give him all the hugs and love in the world! I am sure you are so giddy with excitement! ;-)We are praying for lots! And I am really missing you since I can't just pick up the phone and talk to you! Love you Lots! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. congratulations!! Can't wait to see all the pictures!!

    ReplyDelete