Wednesday, September 28, 2011

A divine encounter.

I wanted to write about something special that happened a few weeks ago in Kiev. It was definitely a divine encounter and left me so encouraged.

Matthias, Emerald, our facilitator Vanya, and I were running errands in Kiev when we stopped at a park to let Emerald play while Vanya went to the apartment to drop off a key. I immediately noticed a beautiful young boy with Down syndrome. I was so surprised and delighted! He was on the see saw and his mom was pushing him up and down using her hand, so I walked over and put Emerald on the empty seat. Somehow I tried to converse with her and she told me her son's name (Micha?) and that they were there for her son to visit the hospital as he has diabetes . She also said he was four years old--almost the age of my Emory!) I *tried* to explain to her that we were in Ukraine because we were adopting a little boy with Down syndrome, but I was sure she didn't understand. We were lost in translation so we just happily watched our children play on the jungle gym.


A few minutes later our facilitator came back and I told him about the lady we met and asked her if he would translate for me for a moment. We exchanged names and I told Vanya to tell her why we were in Ukraine. When Vanya told her, she had the most shocked look on her face and started crying! Crocodile tears were running down her cheeks as she stared at me. She was so touched that we were *choosing* to adopt a boy with Down syndrome. She asked us why--I told her because people with DS are perfect the way they are and I've always they are special. She looked even more shocked and I couldn't tell if she agreed or disagreed.


We exchanged numbers and are hoping to meet up on our way home. How wonderful will that be? I thank God for His sovereinty. In meeting this sweet lady...in bring us to Ukraine...in giving our sons extra chomosones. Yes, I think He is sovereign, even in that. I hope that woman was encouraged in her journey raising three sons, one with Down syndrome. In a land where people like sweet Micha are looked down upon, I hope she was encouraged to look at her son from a different angle. Her son is darling!


5 comments:

  1. What a wonderful, touching story..Made me cry..Love you guys...GG

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! I can't wait to hear when you hear from her!!! Awesome awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful story and it's so encouraging to hear that the message could be getting through to the people of the U...our children DO have worth, they do have value and they belong home with their families being raised at home...not in orphanages and institutions. What an amazing experience. I hope you do get to meet again!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful! So excited to see a mom who kept her child! Love it!

    ReplyDelete